Over the history of this site, there has been repeated discussion of whether distilling and other "non-brewing" activities should be allowed:
- How to deal with questions/answers about potentially illegal activities?
- Ignoring legality, is Homebrew Stack Exchange going to encompass distilling?
- Are questions that do not involve any brewing on topic here?
- Is this question about sweet liqueur off-topic?
- Distilling questions
The most upvoted answers on each of these questions seem to me to suggest that the community overall does, and always has, supported the inclusion of such topics. However, there still seems to be an assumption that this is not allowed (likely based on the proposal-phase discussion where people were weary of its legality, which I feel has been more than addressed since then).
All of that said, my question is less about this particular topic and more around what steps are required do the following:
- Officially determine whether the community at large would in fact like a change to be made.
- Define the changes that should be made to the site to make this more explicit (e.g. updating the tour information to explicitly include whether or not distilling is allowed and/or possibly changing the name of the site to something more clearly inclusive).
- Enact the changes once they are agreed upon.
Is there an official process for this? How do we avoid spending another 8 years debating this point without any definitive action?